Regulations on Entry into and Exit from China

Regulations on Entry into and Exit from China


Foreigners wanting to travel in China can register at travel agencies in their own countries or in China to make arrangements for the trip. Travelers can also make arrangements on their own. In accordance with the relevant provisions of the Law of the People's Republic of China on Control of the Entry and Exit of Aliens, foreign tourists should apply for entry visas at Chinese diplomatic representative agencies or consulates stationed in their own countries, or other Chinese organizations authorized by China's Ministry of Foreign Affairs with this function. A tourist group consisting of five or more tourists may apply for the group tourist visa. The travel service that organizes the tourist group shall be responsible to apply for the group tourist visa.

Visiting different places in China requires different visas. Foreign travelers who want to travel in Tibet should apply for a confirmation for touring Tibet. From July 1, 2007, the Tourist Bureau of Tibet Autonomous Region closed its offices in hinterland. The confirmation for touring Tibet is issued by the Administration Office of the region's Tourist Bureau without any cost.  Foreigners wishing to visit Shenzhen, Zhuhai or Xiamen special economic zones may apply directly with visa authorities that are approved by Ministry of Public Security for "tourist visas to the special economic zones." Foreigners who plan to stay in Hainan Province for less than 15 days for the purposes of business, tourism or visiting relatives can apply for entry visas in Haikou or Sanya.

In addition, foreigners whose government has signed a visa agreement with the Chinese government can simply follow that agreement ( such as the visa exemption agreement for tourist groups of both countries). Foreign tourist groups from Hong Kong SAR shall be exempted from the visas if they stay in the Shenzhen Special Economic Zone for less than 72 hours. The residents of the Chinese nationality from Hong Kong and Macao can visit the Chinese mainland on the strength of the "Home Visit Permit for the Hong Kong and Macao Residents," and don't need to apply for visas. The Taiwan residents may apply for the "Permit for the Taiwan Residents to the Chinese Mainland" at the port. Foreigners from Japan, Singapore and  Brunei to China for the purposes of business, tourism, visiting relatives and friends, and transit for less than 15 days starting from the date of entry are exempted from visa.

The tourist groups and individuals from the countries or regions with diplomatic relations or official trades with China may still apply for the landing visas.


We would like to give a brief introduction to the relevant regulations of the Chinese Customs as follows:

1. Customs Clearance

In accordance with the relevant laws and regulations, the luggage of inbound and outbound passengers must be under the supervision and control of customs. Passengers should make a factual declaration to customs on the actual contents of the luggage they are carrying into or out of the Chinese territory.

2. Restricted Inbound and Outbound Items

Gold, silver and articles made of these Metals

Inbound passengers with gold, silver and articles made of these metals, each exceeding 50g, should make declaration to the customs, and should carry them out of the Chinese territory. Gold, silver and their products ( including inlaid ornaments, household utensils and other new handicrafts )

bought by tourists at the designated shops in China with foreign currencies shall be released by the customs on the strength of the “special receipts” issued by the People’s Bank of China.


Foreign Currencies

There is no limit to the amount of foreign currencies, travelers’ checks and credit cards a visitor may bring in. The outbound passenger who carries US$5000 or less or an equivalent amount in other foreign currencies does not need the “foreign currency cariage permit” for leaving China. If the passenger who carries more than US$5000 and less than US$10000 or an equivalent amount in other foreign currencies he/she needs the “foreign currency carriage permit” issued by the bank. If he/she carries more than US$10000 or an equivalent amount in other foreign currencies needs the “foreign currency carriage permit” issued by the State Administration of Exchange Control for leaving China




The limit of Renminbi for an inbound or outbound passenger is 20000 yuan. An inbound or outbound passenger with more than 20000 yuan shall not be allowed to enter or leave the Chinese territory.

Cultural Relics (including the works of deceased famous contemporary calligraphers and painters)

The inbound passenger with the cultural relics, which will be carried out of the Chinese territory again, should make declaration to the customs.

The cultural relics to be taken out of China must be appraised by China’s cultural administrative departments. When taking out cultural relics, a passenger must declare them in detail to the customs. As for the cultural relics bought from the shops within the Chinese territory, the customs should check and clear them according to the appraisal mark stampd by China’s cultural administrative departments and the invoices for the cultural relics that can be sold abroad. As for the cultural relics obtained through other channels within the Chinese territory, the customs shall check and clear them on the strength of the appraisal mark stampes by China’s cultural administrative departments and the export certificate. The cultural relics that have not been appraised shall not be taken out of the Chinese territory. Passengers who carry cultural relics out of the country without declaring them to the customs will be punished according to related laws and regulations.

Raw and Prepared Traditional Chinese Medicines

For a tourist bound for foreign countries, the monetary limit of raw and prepared traditional Chinese medicines is 300 yuan; and for a tourist to Hong Kong and Macao, 100 yuan. Outbound tourists carrying a reasonable amount of raw and prepared Chinese medicines for personal use, that were bought with foreign currency, can pass through customs by showing the relevant invoices and foreign exchange receipts. Musk, as well as raw and prepared traditional Chinese medicines exceeding the customs limit, shall not be allowed to leave China.


Tourist Commodities

There are no restrictions on tourist souvenirs and handicraft articles purchased in China with foreign currency,except for any possible duty or export permits that may be required.Customs will also check the invoice and foreign exchange receipts.


Quarantine Service

Inbound and outbound passengers must accept health quarantine inspections by frontier quarantine services if so requested.

Those carrying such objects as microorganisms,tissues from the human body,biological products,blood,or blood products must declare to the health quarantine organ,and clearance shall be given upon quarantine inspections. If the luggage and goods that are carried about or consigned for shipment may spread infectious diseases,they should be subject to the health examination.various foods,beverages and aquatic products from the epidemic areas,or those that probably have been polluted by infectious diseases shall go through sanitary treatment or be destroyed.

Persons from the area infested with yellow fever must present the valid certificates of inoculation against yellow fever to the quarantine departments when entering China.Any person not having such certificates shall be detained for observation until the sixth day after leaving the infested area,or such person may be inoculated and detained until the time when the inoculation is deemed effective.

Health quarantine services are obliged by law to prevent any foreigner suffering from AIDS,sexual diseases,leprosy,mental diseases and active tuberculosis from entering China.

Animal and Plant quarantine

The following articles are forbidden to be brought into China:

animal and plant pathogens(including bacterial and venomous vaccines),pests and other injurious organisms;

animal and plants,their products,and other quarantinable objects from the countries and regions infested by infectious diseases;

animal carcasses;and


Persons intending to bring animals,plants,and related products or other quarantinable objects into China must submit application forms to the customs,and they should be examined by the frontier quarantine department.those who bring animals into China must present quarantine and other certificates issued by the country(or region)of origin.

As for the passengers to China accompanied by their pets,each passenger is allowed to take a dog or a cat.Those who come to China with their dogs or cats must show the quarantine certificates and the hydrophobia immunity certificates issued by the official quarantine organs of the export countries(or region).


Top Travel Routes

Customized Travel Routes